Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Day on the Party Bus!!

So today was a pretty awesome day. Tiring, but still pretty awesome. I went into the office at 8am for my first official day of work where I was fed Einstein Bagels and Starbucks coffee (a GREAT way to start the day!) and met up with the other 3 interns. I finally met Andy, the other intern and found out he's from Detroit! Weird! So that was pretty cool.

We spent the morning sharing a bit of our stories, telling about who we are and how we got to Vanguard. Then Alan started introducing this conecpt of 4-D ministry - What it means to love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. He asked us to describe each part, and what that looks like for our lives. It was really good for me to be challenged in that way because I feel like I always run over that verse quickly and think that I know what it means, but I really don't. What does it mean to love God with each of those 4 dimensions?

Heart - passions, desires, who you are
Soul - the eternal part of you - accessed through worship, prayer and the Word
Mind - your thoughts, decisions you make
Strength - energy, sleep, Sabbath

So then we discussed how we feel about these different categories and which ones come naturally, and which ones we have to work on. For me heart and soul come easiest and its mind and strength that I struggle with. Mind especially. I'm just not good at using my brain. I know that sounds so funny, but I just really feel like I am not a good thinker, and I don't like applying my brain in that way. That sounds so terrible! But I just get exhausted when I really try to focus and think about things. But I feel like that really happens when I try to think the way others around me do, but that's not how I'm created. I need to think by journaling to God or talking things out with people. I need to see that as using my mind and believe that glorifies God just as much as the ways other people think and use their brains to love God.

No comments:

Post a Comment